Assistant Librarian II (Systems)
Established by the Hong Kong Government in 1989, The Open University of Hong Kong today is the largest self-financing university in Hong Kong and has developed into a dynamic, innovative, full-fledged university comprising 6 Schools.
The University has been offering full-time programmes since 2001 and joined the Joint University Programmes Admission System (JUPAS) since 2007. Currently, the University offers about 200 programmes of studies with around 10,000 full-time undergraduates and 1,000 postgraduates, and more than 8,000 part-time students in its 5 Schools namely School of Arts and Social Sciences, Lee Shau Kee School of Business and Administration, School of Education and Languages, School of Nursing and Health Studies and School of Science and Technology. In addition, there are more than 2,000 full-time and 2,000 part-time students studying in Li Ka Shing School of Professional and Continuing Education (LiPACE).
The University strives to provide high quality and flexible university education at various levels, and to excel as a provider of higher education. Our full-time programmes for qualified secondary school leavers are on par with other established universities across Hong Kong. We are committed to advancing learning, knowledge, and research that meet students’ learning aspirations and society’s talent needs, focusing on practical and professional programmes. As a multi-mode university, we use innovative teaching and the latest education technology to offer world class education, guided by our core values of fairness, integrity, perseverance, and innovation.
We are now inviting applications for the following post in the Library:
Assistant Librarian II (Systems) (Ref. no.: 21000FE)
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The appointee will be responsible to the Assistant Librarian I (Technical Services & Digital Initiatives) for managing and supporting the Library Systems & Technology Section. He / She may be required to take up additional duties of other Library Section(s).
The appointee shall mainly be responsible for the following:
- Assisting in the system administration of ALEPH integrated library system, SFX link resolver, Primo discovery portal, and other digital systems of the Library;
- Assisting in developing and maintaining the Library’s application programmes and database systems;
- Assisting in identifying, evaluating, implementing and maintaining new and emerging technologies to support Library services;
- Assisting in planning, managing, coordinating and implementing activities related to library systems and technology;
- Assisting in the formulation of policies and procedures related to library systems and technology;
- Supervising and training library staff in system operations and policies;
- Serving on committees and task forces as appropriate; and
- Performing any other duties as assigned by the Librarian or his/her nominee.
Applicants are expected to possess the following qualifications, experience and attributes:
- A recognized degree in Information Technology related disciplines and a professional library qualification (e.g. MLS, MCLIP or AALIA);
- At least 2 years of relevant post-qualification experience;
- Strong knowledge of integrated library systems and experience in system administration;
- Working experience in OpenURL link resolver, discovery services, and library digital systems;
- Hands-on experience in computer programming, web application development, and understanding of Linux server configurations and networking is advantageous;
- Energetic, enthusiastic, analytical, proactive and customer-oriented;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills in both English and Chinese; and
- Experience in the application of information technology in an academic library setting is preferred.
Competitive compensation package including basic salary, end-of-contract gratuity and discretionary incentive (if any) will be offered to the right candidate. Fringe benefits such as generous annual leave, staff learning and development sponsorship, medical & dental benefits and life insurance coverage will also be provided.
Application should be made online through the University’s eRecruitment System.
Deadline: 18 April 2021
(Applicants who have responded to the previous advertisement posted in March 2021 need not re-apply.)