Senior Assistant Librarian
Department / Section : Learning Resources Centre
Ref. no : C/LRC/SAL/09/22-AP-1
(a) To ensure an effective implementation, management and development of the library services in Learning Resources Centre (LRC) to facilitate teaching and learning activities, including:
(i) cataloguing and classification of library materials;
(ii) acquiring library materials and electronic resources;
(iii) performing serials management;
(iv) providing readers services and reference services;
(v) managing library collections, circulation and inter-campus loan services;
(vi) managing library facilities;
(vii) planning and delivering LRC orientations, workshops and instructional programmes;
(viii) assisting in LRC projects;
(ix) managing the library services webpage; and
(x) tabulating and evaluating statistics on the usage of library services and facilities;
(b) To update the LRC policies including acquisition and cataloguing of library materials and electronic resources;
(c) To manage and supervise a team of library staff;
(d) To review and implement the policies of staff development, training and deployment in LRC;
(e) To chair and participate in the LRC committee meetings;
(f) To implement LRC quality assurance policy;
(g) To perform central library duties in planning, coordination, implementation and review of readers services, technical services, acquisition of library materials and electronic resources, library system and database management, library budgetary control, and library projects; and
(h) To assist the Head of LRC to review policies and to drive strategies for local campus and central LRC services.
(a) A recognised degree in Librarianship; or membership of Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (MCLIP); or a Post-graduate Diploma in Librarianship; or a Master’s Degree in Library Science; or equivalent;
(b) At least 5 years’ experience in academic libraries at an appropriate level of responsibility;
(c) Practical knowledge of Library Automated System, ExLibris Alma and smart library systems, such as smart locker, ebook kiosk, self-check lending systems;
(d) Good organisational, leadership, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills; and
(e) Good command of spoken and written Chinese and English.
(1) The appointee will be required to work irregular hours or shifts.
(2) The initial posting is in the Hong Kong Design Institute and Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (Lee Wai Lee) [DILWL]. The successful candidate is subject to posting to any posts in the SAL rank to suit the Council’s operational and management needs.
Candidates should take note of the following:
(1) Completed application form (VTC-1) and detailed curriculum vitae (CV) should be combined into one file in PDF format with a file size below 10MB.
(2) The file should be saved with the applicant’s name as “surname and given name”, e.g. “CHAN Tai-man.pdf”.
(3) For the email subject, please cite “Application for the Post of Senior Assistant Librarian (Ref. No.: C/LRC/SAL/09/22-AP-1)”.
(4) Original and copy of other supporting documents are to be provided at a later stage upon request.
Closing date for application: 4 October 2022
Applicants not invited for interview within 10 weeks from the closing date may consider their applications unsuccessful.
The Council reserves the right not to fill the post(s).
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purposes only. Information on unsuccessful candidates will normally be destroyed 12 months after the completion of the recruitment exercise.