Director of Library Services 香港科技大學（廣州）圖書館館長 (Job ID: 6036)
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) invites applications for the position of Director of Library Services in Guangzhou campus (GZ).
The HKUST (GZ) Library
HKUST(GZ), situated in Nansha District, Guangzhou, is under construction and is planned to open in 2022. Please visit http://hkust-gz.edu.cn/ for details. This new campus offers a unique educational environment with four transdisciplinary hubs and sixteen thrust areas. The GZ Library, a smart library with mainly electronic resources, is equipped with technology-enriched spaces and services. It is the common place for the community to explore with emerging technology and to gather, learn, create, and collaborate.
The appointee will closely work with Hong Kong Clear Water Bay Library in building development, strategic planning of the GZ Library and overseeing its operations. He/She is expected to lead the functions, to manage resources and to deliver services of the HKUST GZ Library to achieve the missions in supporting teaching, research, and student experience within the University.
The appointee will be required to station and work in the Mainland (initially in Nansha prior to the official opening of the GZ campus in the Fall of 2022). Frequent business travels between Mainland and Clear Water Bay campus will have to be made as required. English is the administration language of HKUST (GZ).
- To establish a new Library in the GZ campus and manage the Library’s functions through effective strategic planning;
- Provide an inspiring and technology-enriched facility and develop a collection of resources for study, research, and enrichment;
- Oversee the technological development that facilitates information access and discovery;
- Guide all information, access, technical, and user services and offer user education to build up students’ competency for life-long learning;
- Plan exhibitions, displays and co-curricular activities to nurture students’ holistic development; and
- Lead the budgeting process, recruit, and develop staff to ensure productivity and deliver quality services.
- A master’s degree in Library or Information Science or related field; advanced degrees in relevant fields will be an advantage;
- A proven record of successful management and effective leadership in an academic library setting; candidates with less experience will be considered for the positions of Associate Director;
- Ability to effectively navigate within a large and complex organisation;
- Effective people management and team-building skills particularly in a multi-cultural environment;
- Knowledge of emerging trends in scholarly communication and information and digital media technologies with evidence of continuing participation and professional growth; and
- Excellent oral and written communication; good command of English and Putonghua is required.
- 優秀的表達和書寫能力; 良好的英語和普通話。
This is a Mainland appointment and the appointee will be offered a contract by HKUST Mainland entity in accordance with the local labor laws and regulations. Appointment will initially be made on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to mutual agreement.
In support of a green work environment, we accept applications submitted online only. To apply, please complete an online application form through the HKUST Careers website (https://hkustcareers.ust.hk) and return it online to the Human Resources Office. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Applicants will receive an acknowledgement by email upon successful submission. We thank applicants for their interest, but advise that only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the result of the application.