Director of Library Services
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) invites applications and nominations for the position of Director of Library Services.
Founded in 1991, HKUST is a dynamic, international research university in relentless pursuit of excellence, leading the advance of and education in science, technology, business, humanities and social science. Within its short history, the University has become a leading player in international higher education.
HKUST comprises around 650 internationally respected and culturally diverse faculty members, with about 10,000 undergraduate and 5,600 postgraduate students. It promotes interdisciplinary studies and a strong entrepreneurial spirit in a diverse learning environment that enhances student development of creativity, innovative thinking and a global outlook. English is the language used in teaching, research and administration.
To complement its Clear Water Bay campus (CWB) in Hong Kong, HKUST is currently developing a new campus in Guangzhou, Chinese mainland. Scheduled to open in 2022, HKUST (GZ) will offer a unique educational environment with four transdisciplinary hubs and 16 thrust areas. Central facilities, such as the Libraries, will be coordinated across the two campuses to enable synergy.
The HKUST Library
The HKUST Library is an integral component of the University, supporting teaching, learning and research in science, engineering, business and management, humanities and social sciences, and interdisciplinary programs. At present, the Library’s book and periodical collections total approximately 730,000 volumes, plus 25,000 media materials. The Library’s electronic collections include more than 300 electronic databases, 130,000 e-journals, and 750,000 e-books. With a team of 90 professional and supporting staff, the Library offers its users a learning environment rich in electronic information and digital services. The Library’s website (http://library.ust.hk) has developed into a central information hub for access to Library information, services, and resources; instructional materials; and publications by our research community.
Not only does the Library help prepare HKUST students to be successful global citizens and life-long learners and enhance HKUST researchers in their intellectual discovery, scholarship and exchange of knowledge, it also serves the larger purpose of meeting the information and whole-person development needs of the HKUST community as a whole.
The Director of Library Services will be accountable for the strategic
development of the Library of HKUST (CWB). S/he will provide leadership for its
functions as well as overall management of all its resources, and services to
achieve the missions in supporting teaching, research, student experience
within the University; and its engagement with the University and external
communities. In addition, s/he will coordinate and collaborate with the
Director of Library Services of HKUST (GZ). Major responsibilities include:
- Manage the Library through effective strategic and action planning, in line with the University’s priorities;
- Provide an inspiring physical place and technology-enriched facility for study, research, enrichment, and collaboration;
- Enrich a collection of resources in all formats and archive important University documents for easy access;
- Oversee the development of a technological environment that facilitates state-of-the-art information access, retrieval, and discovery;
- Guide all information, technical, digital, access, research, and user services of the Library to ensure responsive and effective support;
- Offer user education to build students’ information literacy capacity and competency for lifelong learning;
- Plan arts and cultural and general educational co-curricular activities to enrich students’ holistic development;
- Lead the preparation of the annual budget and guide the expenditures to be spent appropriately and within financial constraints;
- Develop staff recruitment and development plans to ensure productivity, team effectiveness and to deliver quality services; and
- Represent the Library externally by developing links to the library community and professional bodies and forming strategic partnerships.
- A Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science or related field; advanced degrees in relevant fields will be an advantage;
- A proven record of successful management and effective leadership in an academic library setting;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively navigate within a large and complex organisation;
- Effective people management and team-building skills particularly in a multi-cultural environment;
- Knowledge of emerging trends in scholarly communication and information and digital media technologies;
- Excellent oral and written communication; and
- Evidence of continuing scholarly participation and professional growth.
Terms & Applications/Nominations
The HKUST has engaged Odgers Berndtson to assist with the recruitment of the Director of Library Services.
The post is a full-time appointment on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to mutual agreement. Competitive remuneration and generous fringe benefits, including housing where appropriate, will be provided. A gratuity will be payable upon completion of contract.
Applications/nominations, together with a full curriculum vitae and the names and addresses of three referees, should be sent to [email protected] (Attention: Mr Sherman Chin). Review of candidates will begin shortly and continue until the position is filled.
HKUST is committed to diversity in recruitment and equal opportunity employment.
Additional information about the University is available on the website <http://www.ust.hk>.
Information provided by applicants will be used for recruitment and other employment-related purposes.