Library Assistant I (Ref: 22061022-IE)
THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY
PAO YUE-KONG LIBRARY
Library Assistant I
The appointee will support various metadata services and projects to enhance the discovery of Library resources.
The appointee will be required to:
- assist the Section Head to supervise a team of Library Assistants to ensure the smooth operation of the cataloguing and processing of newly acquired library materials;
- create and maintain bibliographic records and electronic inventories for Library’s physical and electronic resources, and in-house databases;
- perform copy and original cataloguing for English and CJK monographs;
- train Library Assistants to perform operational duties;
- compile statistical reports relating to library collections, and maintain procedural manuals and inventory lists;
- perform counter and shift duties, and
- perform any other duties as may be assigned by the University Librarian or her delegates.
Applicants should have:
- a recognised degree, or a recognised certificate or diploma plus not less than three years of relevant experience, or five passes in HKCEE including English Language (at least Grade C if Syllabus A; Level 2 if results are obtained from 2007 onwards), Chinese Language (Level 2 if results are obtained from 2007 onwards) and Mathematics; or a combination of results in five HKDSE subjects of Level 2 in New Senior Secondary subjects / “Attained” in Applied Learning subjects / Grade E in Other Language subjects (the five subjects must include English Language, Chinese Language and Mathematics) with at least eight years of relevant experience;
- relevant operational and supervisory experience in a large library or an academic library;
- knowledge and interest in metadata schemas and cataloguing standards;
- proficiency in computer applications including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Chinese word processing;
- excellent customer service and communication skills, and be able to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English and Chinese.
Conditions of Service
A highly competitive remuneration package will be offered. Initial appointment will be on a fixed-term gratuity-bearing contract. Re-engagement thereafter is subject to mutual agreement.
Please submit an application through PolyU’s career website https://jobs.polyu.edu.hk/general Consideration of applications will commence on 23 June 2022 until the position is filled. The University’s Personal Information Collection Statement for recruitment can be found at https://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/careers/pics_for_recruitment/.
PolyU is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, ethnicity, nationality, family status or physical or mental disabilities.
Closing date of application: Until the position is filled.